- Open a command prompt with adminstrative priveledges
- Run: powercfg /waketimers
- Verified there is a scheduled task called mcupdate_scheduled
- Open task scheduler
- Navigate to Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center
- Right click and select Properties on mcupdate_scheduled
- Click Conditions tab
- Microsoft has set the flag for Wake the computer to run this task
- Unticked the Wake the computer to run this task
- Click Ok
- Re-run powercfg /waketimers
- Verified no other tasks set to wake this machine up without my control.....
Now, it maybe due to my machine being an upgraded Windows 7 x64 Ultimate to Windows 8 x64 Pro RTM. Will have to check this on a fresh install as well.
Hope this helps anyone else uses hibernation during the day.