Saturday, March 10, 2012

Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Day 7

So, I took the plunge and decided to see how the web update method of a laptop went.

This laptop has been running Windows 7 x64 for a while now and is cluttered with junk (its not my everyday machine).

The specs are:
  • Toshiba P300
  •  Dual Core Centrino 
  • 4gb RAM
  • Dual 720Gb HDD
The upgrade was smoothless with only requiring me to install Avast AntiVirus and Raxco Perfect Disk. After uninstalling these two products and rebooting, the OS continued to install.

There was one glitch where after going 100% through the update it just hung on a black screen on 100% HDD activity. I did the power-cycle and it rebooted and setup the user profile without any issues.

I have used this laptop exclusivly over the last 2 days doing things like watching movies, playing music and will confess it feels like it runs faster and with less disk activity than what Windows 7 was doing. This hardware was designed for Windows Vista (and only just in my opinion!).

I find myself missing the start menu less and less as the metro start enables me to get to the required application in less time. I can see Microsoft's vision for what it is, and look forward to the first bug fixes (if not a Win8 SP1) to get this into version 2.0.

To quote U2 for those complaining about the lack of a start orb/button - Your stuck in a moment, you can't get out off.....


No comments: